Design Vlog: Comparing the UK & US Editions of A FACE LIKE GLASS by Frances Hardinge...Which Will You Buy?


Today, I have a really fun treat for you!

Earlier this year, I imported the UK edition of A FACE LIKE GLASS by Frances Hardinge. It sounded SO GOOD and I couldn't wait half a year for the book to release in the US to read it. (Not that I've had a chance to read it and we are now here six months later....UGH!!!) Also, I really, REALLY loved one of the UK covers I'd seen online!

I was lucky enough to receive a review copy of the US edition of A FACE LIKE GLASS from Abrams, so I decided to treat you all to a video comparing the two editions so you can see the differences between them. Hopefully it helps you decide which version to buy!

If you love THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Morgenstern, CARAVAL by Stephanie Garber, or THE BEAR AND THE NIGHTINGALE by Katherine Arden, A FACE LIKE GLASS seems to be rooted in the same genre....which makes me SO excited to read it every time I think about it!

Frances Hardinge is best-known in the US for CUCKOO SONG and THE LIE TREE (Which has SUCH a beautiful cover!!!!), but she has been writing for years in the UK and due to her recent US success, a lot of her titles are finally coming out here!

Ready to see how the two books compare to one another? Here we go!


Which version do you like the best?
Which one will you buy??

~*~
O F F I C I A L   I N F O:

Title:  A FACE LIKE GLASS
Author: Frances Hardinge
Release Date: May 9, 2017
(First pub. Jan 1, 2012 in the UK)
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams
SUMMARY:

In the underground city of Caverna, the world’s most skilled craftsmen toil in the darkness to create delicacies beyond compare—wines that remove memories, cheeses that make you hallucinate, and perfumes that convince you to trust the wearer, even as they slit your throat. On the surface, the people of Caverna seem ordinary, except for one thing: their faces are as blank as untouched snow. Expressions must be learned, and only the famous Facesmiths can teach a person to express (or fake) joy, despair, or fear—at a steep price. 

Into this dark and distrustful world comes Neverfell, a girl with no memory of her past and a face so terrifying to those around her that she must wear a mask at all times. Neverfell’s expressions are as varied and dynamic as those of the most skilled Facesmiths, except hers are entirely genuine. And that makes her very dangerous indeed…' 



Comments