{Mad About Nails} Orly's "Mirrorball" and My Nail Strengthening Routine!


I've had quite a few people comment on my nails in the past ask what I was using or wish I'd done a close-up so they could see better, etc., etc., and had a realization: Why not do a feature on nail polish? It's not book-related (Unless you're wearing the new HUNGER GAMES-inspired line from China Glaze, but I'm not even going into how wrong that is...), but it's fun. Plus, if I do this feature, I'll be more likely to re-paint my nails this week and less likely to let them chip their way to the bare bones (which would mean that I could see my nails...and if I see them, I want to bite them!).

Welcome back to another edition of Mad About Nails! 

This is my first Mad About Nails post in a long time, I know! 
My nails have struggled to grow and stay strong this year. They keep peeling, cracking, and splitting.
BUT they're finally getting long again!
I'll tell you what I'm using to make them stronger below!


Orly "Mirrorball" is one of my favorite new nail polish colors.
The winter daylight doesn't catch the sparkle and shine AT ALL, so I'll have to re-post about it in the summer.

BUT it's available in stores RIGHT NOW as part of Orly's Holiday 2014 Sparkle Collection, so snap it up!

 Here's a video showing you these nails in person:
(For some reason, the quality is REALLY bad...and it was too cold for me to re-film, sorry!)

YouTube Link

And here's a picture if you don't want to watch all that:

These are my nails after ONE WEEK of wear and tear! These still look perfect!


MY SUPPLIES:

 
THE BREAKDOWN:


For My Base Coat:


I started off with a basecoat of Essie "Millionails" and a coat of Essie "Grow Stronger." My nails are breaking and splitting right now, so I'm trying to strengthen them again! I picked up "Millionails" at Target to try, and saw on the back of the box that it said to pair this with "Grow Stronger." So that's what I'm doing!

For My Nail Color:

I used two coats of Orly "Mirrorball" from the Holiday 2014 Sparkle Collection, which I purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply.

The color is GORGEOUS and holographic and SO MUCH FUN. These pictures don't do it justice!

It looks like I'm wearing a sticker or a foil sheet. This color shouldn't exist in real life...BUT IT DOES!

An instant new favorite polish!

For my Top Coat:

I am SO IMPRESSED with Dermalect "Instant Nail Thickener" Top Coat.
SO, SO IMPRESSED!!!!

I had purchased it from Ulta Beauty despite it being a little on the expensive side (IT was $14 or $15, but I had a $5 Off Coupon, so I tried it). I picked it up because it promised to strengthen my weak nails, and was infused with keratin and peptide technology. SO WORTH IT. I will be buying this again.

Not only did it keep my nails shiny and looking brand-new after one week, it also SAVED my nails.

I had two nails that chipped:

After two days, you can barely see that line at the top!

After three days, you're just starting to see it chip. Before, it was just a long line!
 
Those pictures were taken 2-3 days after the chip. They top coat is STILL holding them together and not showing the chip. (The thumb is just starting to show it; before, it was a crack if you looked carefully.)

Even MORE impressive? When I went to take off the polish, I  had actually hit both nails so hard that the nail ITSELF had cracked....all the way down. Dermalect held the polish AND the nail together for 2-3 days with my knowledge that I'd have to get out a nail clipper!

This top coat is truly a lifesaver and ABSOLUTELY worth the $$$$!!!!


 Is anyone else obsessed with nail polish? What are you wearing right now? 

Comments