Top Ten Books For Non-Mermaid Fans

Don't forget! 
(or any other Splashy book of your choice)!

Check out the schedule of events for both
Oh, Magic Hour and A Backwards Story!
Don't miss a second of all the great stuff we have in store for you!
If you post about our underwater friends online, share your link here!
Grab some promotional buttons for your blog
and stop back for fun guest posts, exciting author visits, giveaways, reviews,
and more!
Twitter | Tumblr | Pinterest
&

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
Every once in a while I participate in this one when I either
1) Like the theme, and/or 2) Have the time!


This week's topic:Top Ten Books For Non-Mermaid Fans

(Aka, the Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want To Read [books you may have bought but aren't sure if you are into it anymore, books you wanted to read but heard mixed things about, hyped books you aren't sure about --- basically any book that has you going, "TO READ OR NOT TO READ?"]

Since we're knee-deep in Splash into Summer, I figured that a lot of you aren't big mermaid fans. You just have to put up with our epic love for two weeks, right?

Obviously, I love mermaids. I want to read ALL THE BOOKS. So this week's TTT doesn't quite work for me.

Buuuuut I'm pretty sure that some of YOU have some mermaid books sitting on your shelf that you aren't sure about reading. If you've never read a mermaid book, it's OKAY. If you're not a mermaid fan, it's OKAY! 

State Secret? My co-host Emily never read a mermaid book before the event. I'm converting her. Let me convert you too, okay? If you're not sure about mermaids, here are ten books you could try!


In no particular order...

1) FORGIVE MY FINS by Tera Lynn Childs

This series is so sweet and fun. FORGIVE MY FINS is my favorite in the series because it's all about falling in love for the first time. A lot of it takes place on land, too, so if you're hestiant to go full-on underwater with the mermaids, this one deals with high school life and cute boys! Princess Lily is on land trying out her land legs. She has the biggest crush on a guy at school named Brody, but everything goes wrong when her next-door-neighbor Quince kisses her. For mermaids, kisses aren't just kisses. Instead, they mean that the two are bonded for life. And Lily does NOT want to be bonded with Quince. It's just a fun, fun series! Nice and sweet!
 

2) ATLANTIA by Ally Condie

This is going to be one of THE big books this fall. A new book from the author of the bestselling Matched Triloyg? A STAND-ALONE that isn't part of a series? This one is going to be big. I just finished reading it last week, and it was so, so good. I'm really eager to share my early thoughts with you during Splash! ATLANTIA really isn't about mermaids. At all. But it takes place underwater and focuses on two twins who are forced to separate when one chooses to live Above and the other Below. Atlantia was meant to save people...but instead, it has begun to destroy them. I won't give you too many spoilers now. If you want them, check out my upcoming review!


3) LOST VOICES by Sarah Porter


This is perhaps my favorite mermaid book. It's not for everyone, though. If, when you think of mermaids, you only want sweet, happy things, run far, far away from this series. Mermaids are not as tame as you may think if you only know them through Disney. They can be dark and gritty, too. Mermaids--sirens, really--are born to give broken girls a second chance at life. Girls who are abused, bullied, unloved. Girls who commit suicide or die tragically. Their souls are reborn, and they become deadly sirens intent on bringing down the men who made them this way. I seriously have so much love for this series!
My Review
 

4) MONSTROUS BEAUTY by Elizabeth Fama

Maybe you like mystery novels or historicals. Have a little bit of both with MONSTROUS BEAUTY. The mermaid present are once again dark and wild. Tame creatures, these are not. When Syrenka falls for a human and gives everything up for him, her life changes--and not for the better. Fast-forward over a century later, and the events of the past have brought about a powerful curse. Doesn't that sound great? And hey, if for nothing else, you should pick up the book (in paperback!) because Macmillan features an interview I did with Elizabeth Fama as a bonus goodie! Look forward to a special visit from Elizabeth during Splash!
My Review


5) THE VICIOUS DEEP by Zoraida Córdova



THE VICIOUS DEEP is unique because it features a merMAN. One who is the heir to an underwater throne (and doesn't know it!), no less. It's about time guys get to have some fun, too. Why is it always about merMAIDS? And why is it usually a long-lost princess? Enter Tristan...get ready to love this guy! This series is great for that reason alone (And okay, also many other reasons!). Plus, Zoraida is hilarious and wonderful, and I can't wait to have her stop by during Splash!
My Review


6) THE TAIL OF EMILY WINDSNAP by Liz Kessler


This series is fun for all ages! It starts out rather typically, but as the story progresses, Liz Kessler creates so much original mythology and lore, and I'm excited every time I dive back beneath the sea with Emily. When I heard she was working on a sixth book, I was so happy! The series centers around a half-girl/half-mer named Emily as she discovers her dual identity and gets into all sorts of mischief!


7) TANGLED TIDES by Karen Amanda Hooper


Let's try another way to entice...how about a book with MONSTERS? And what about one where your main character is a monster? Let's add in some selkies. A date with destiny. Um, and whew, romance. And an awesome cover!!! TANGLED TIDES is different from all the other mermaid books out there, and gives you quite a few different topics to make it a great "first" book!


8) BETWEEN THE SEA AND SKY by Jaclyn Dolamore


Fairy tale fan? BETWEEN THE SEA AND SKY is the book for you! It reads like a fairy tale, and is so easy to fall in love with. When Esmerine comes to land, she suffers with her landlegs. It also features her best friend, a Fandarsee boy with wings.  And, to bring this back to fairy tales, let me quote from Ever After: "A bird may love a fish, signore, but where will they live?" And so, a mermaid may love a Fandarsee...but again, where would they live? And could they do so without pain, and without the overwhelming loss of all they've given up?
My Review
 

9) REAL MERMAIDS DON'T WEAR TOE RINGS by Hélène Boudreau


This is the book I like to recommend alongside Judy Blume's staple ARE YOU THERE, GOD? IT'S ME, MARGARET. When girls become tweens and start undergoing changes, it's nice to do so side-by-side with a beloved character. REAL MERMAIDS DON'T WEAR TOE RINGS is great because it's modern-day and Jade is really relatable. She's a little overweight, she gets acne, and she never knew she was a mermaid until the day she got her period for the first time. Talk about a freak of nature! These books are so funny, and it's so easy to grow up alongside Jade! 
My Review


10) MERMAID: A Twist on a Classic Tale by Carolyn Turgeon


One last chance to grab you! Okay, okay. You know the story of The Little Mermaid, right? Did you know that the original version is much darker than the Disney version? Carolyn Turgeon takes a look at the original version, while still doing her signature twisting of the truth. The result is a book that looks at the POVs of two characters competing for one prince's heart and giving reasoning to each that fleshes out the original tale!
My Review



So, what do you think?
 
Have I convinced you to try reading one of those mermaid books you weren't certain about?
 
If so, I'd love to hear which one will be your first! ^_^

Comments

  1. OH wow... I have no read a single one of these books! I do like the look of Mermaid - I've always thought the original version of The Little Mermaid was so tragic and wish more people knew that version rather than just the Disney one. I think I'll see if my local library has a copy! :) Thanks for a great Top Ten!

    Kate @ Fictional Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. This list is perfect for me, because I am not actually a big mermaid fan. *hides* I've read Forgive My Fins, and I thought it was cute but I wasn't in love with it. I also tried Lost Voices but I don't think I got all the way through it...you're right, it was dark! Perhaps I should give it another try, though — I do have the second and third books sitting on my shelves. Also, your description of Monstrous Beauty really appeals to me. I like historicals *and* mysteries, so that definitely sounds up my alley.

    And I think I'll be giving Atlantia a shot eventually as well, since I like the Matched series (although I still have not read Reached! *hides again* How is that possible?! I need to get on that asap.) The separated twins premise sounds pretty cool, and you have me wondering now how Atlantia is destroying people... plus, yay, a standalone! Standalones are endangered species in YA :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!! So so so happy for this list. Thank you for this! I will definitely check them out. I've been looking for mermaid books since I don't know a lot :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!