Splashy One to Watch: FATHOMLESS by Jackson Pearce


Welcome to Splash into Summer, home of mermaid lovers everywhere!
Check out my daily schedule of events!
Check out what my co-host Literally Jen has in store as well!

Today is in a Commentary / Flash Review style because the book doesn't come out until September and it's been requested that I Spotlight it now for Splash rather than do a full review!

O P E N I N G   H O O K:


THERE ARE LIGHTS AT THE SURFACE.
Lights, unlike the sun, that can't stretch down into the depths of the ocean.  Lights we can only see when we look outside the water.  She turned the thought over and over in her mind, imagining the lights as best she could until she had to turn to her sisters for help again.

(Page 1, US ARC Edition, out Sept. 4, 2012;
Changes may occur before final printing)
Right now, SISTERS RED is on sale for only $2.99 on both nook and Kindle as an e-book!  Amazon is also selling the hardcover as a bargain book for only $6.80!  May I HIGHLY recommend buying this amazing book at such a great price?


The world of Jackson Pearce's fairy tale "retellings" is always eerie, and never quite what one might expect.  They all pull inspiration from traditional fairy tales while remaining their own original novels at the same time.  None of the books need to be read in order, yet some elements create a refrain that weave the novels together.  In SISTERS RED, we are introduced to the deadly Fenris, creatures that exist in all three books.  In FATHOMLESS, we get to see a bit of their origins.  SWEETLY gives off waves of foreshadowing that intertwine in FATHOMLESS, though again, you don't need to read it first.  I will say, however, that immediately after finishing FATHOMLESS, I went back and re-read one chapter towards the end of SWEETLY, which is actually so much deeper and more meaningful now.  Then I turned around and finally read SISTERS RED to see how the three stories tied together. I'm hoping Pearce sets more novels in this fairy tale world!
What do you think of the cover re-design?
FATHOMLESS is a loose retelling of THE LITTLE MERMAID, one of my favorite fairy tales.  She gets brownie points for anchoring the tale to the Hans Christian Andersen version over the Disney version, too.  So far, I've only seen Carolyn Turgeon's MERMAID do this.  The book alternates between the POV of the mermaid who actually saves a drowning boy and the human girl who pretends to have done so.  Only, there's so much more at stake this time around.  Plus, Lo isn't a natural mermaid.  She died and became a being (albeit with legs and not a tail) who lives in the sea with her sisters (and in this sense, the book reminds me of Sarah Porter's LOST VOICES).  If you've read SISTERS RED and SWEETLY, you know how an undercurrent of danger is woven throughout all of Pearce's novels.  FATHOMLESS is no exception.  It grows more horrifying as the novel progresses and is truly un-put-down-able.

So far, I'd have to say FATHOMLESS is my favorite novel by Pearce.  The world is so creepy, yet so beautiful, too.

"How eerily creepy can mermaids possibly be," you ask.  If this line isn't enough to send shivers coursing up your spine, nothing can:

MAKE HIM LOVE YOU, KISS HIM, DROWN HIM.  Earn his soul, and you get your humanity back...

(Page 5, US ARC Edition, out Sept. 4, 2012;
Changes may occur before final printing)

Then again, I also find myself fiercely in love with the kick-butt attitude of SISTERS RED and the gorgeous imagery from SWEETLY.  Each of Pearce's books has something to love, and I'm excited that she has two non-related books (AS YOU WISH and PURITY) for me to read, though I don't know that I can love them as much as I do this fairy tale series.  Pearce is spot-on in character descriptions, in bringing a scene's visuals to life, in sending shivers down one's spine, in forcing readers to care.  There is so much to love and I look forward to more novels from Pearce in the future!

Put this one on your TBR list for September!  And check back this week or next for a review of the fantastic SISTERS RED!
~*~
O F F I C I A L   I N F O:

Title:  FATHOMLESS
Author: Jackson Pearce
Release Date: Out Sept. 4, 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Received: ARC for review
 


SUMMARY:

Celia Reynolds is the youngest in a set of triplets and the one with the least valuable power. Anne can see the future, and Jane can see the present, but all Celia can see is the past. And the past seems so insignificant -- until Celia meets Lo.



Lo doesn't know who she is. Or who she was. Once a human, she is now almost entirely a creature of the sea -- a nymph, an ocean girl, a mermaid -- all terms too pretty for the soulless monster she knows she's becoming. Lo clings to shreds of her former self, fighting to remember her past, even as she's tempted to embrace her dark immortality.


When a handsome boy named Jude falls off a pier and into the ocean, Celia and Lo work together to rescue him from the waves. The two form a friendship, but soon they find themselves competing for Jude's affection. Lo wants more than that, though. According to the ocean girls, there's only one way for Lo to earn back her humanity. She must persuade a mortal to love her . . . and steal his soul.

Comments

  1. I loved these little snippets! I've read and adored all of Jackson's books, but her fairy tale reconstructions are just so clever. Cannot wait to get my hands on a copy of Fathomless. Thanks for the teasers!

    ~V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's seriously her best book yet, though I almost changed my mind after reading SISTERS RED, lol!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!